Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Teaching Topic: Room Theme

I don't know about you but I'm addicted to room decorations. I love seeing what other people have created and how they organized their space.  It can be overwhelming because I know I see so many ideas that I want to use EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of them. I learned this year that I tried too many things.  Once I figured that out I paid attention to what worked for me and what didn't.  I've been thinking about my room theme since about January.  Call me crazy, as most of the rest of the staff does at my school, but I already start to turn my attention to the next year.  It starts by making copies of everything I'll need for Orientation and Back To School.  It very much so pays off when school starts and you only have those few short days to pull everything together.  If you are able to get in your school during the summer more power to you but Summer School and Summer Camp are king in the summer at my school so my room is off limits until it's time for teachers to start back.  Around April and May I start making my Summer To Do list.  I look around my room and list of what new signs and decorations I want/need for last year.  As it turns out I end up redoing them because I like to many designs to keep it the same (hence the start of this blog, I saw the number of files I have sitting on my external drive and thought this needs to be shared).  It's hard for me to nail down a theme because I LOVE too much stuff.  I love chevron, diagonals, polka dots, stripes, quatre foil, bunting and banners, owls, elephants, cupcakes, most Disney characters, paisley, plaid, dolphins and sea creatures, flowers, apples, pink, purple, teal, yellow, script fonts, chalkboard fonts, handwritten fonts and so you see my room still ends up a hodge podge of everything.  So this year I finally sat down and had to write out a theme, narrow it down.  I came up with chevrons, polka dots and owls. I've been using rainbow colors. And I've been putting some bunting and banners on some too. I haven't had a hard time sticking to it. I've had a hard time stopping. Thus when I branched out in my printables.  I've never done pictures of my room but I do promise this year I will take pictures and share.   What's your room theme?  Do you change?  Share in the comments!